Released just 3 days before his Death J Dilla’a album Donuts is the perfect example of the hip-hop producer album.
With a multitude of short tracks, just the beats are demonstrated before moving to the next track. Producers probably have dozens of these short one or two minute songs on hard drives in dusty old drawers. Occasionally they’ll make it onto an album.
It makes for a schizophrenic mix, with little need for djing. In fact they just drop on top of each other, in an ongoing sequence of chops and changes.
There are 20something tracks in this mix, yet it would comfortably fit on one side of a 45 minute cassette tape. That should give you an idea of how quickly we move through the gears.
Think of it as a transit journey through successive, tightly packed neighbourhoods. The only thing is, you can’t get off.
- Mash – J Dilla – Donuts
- Fly Me T’ The Moon – Dibia$E – Sound Palace
- With You – Flako – The Mesektet
- Moogy Foog It – Karriem Riggins – Alone Together
- The Anthem – Onra – The Anthem
- walkright – Bahwee – Flavors
- Madlib Bonus Beats – Daedelus – The Quiet Party
- The Quest – Nosaj Thing – Drift
- Rice Crackers – Samiyam – Wish You Were Here
- Announcement – Samiyam – Wish You Were Here
- Ryderz – Hudson Mohawke – Lantern
- Lantern – SBTRKT – Wonder Where We Land
- Detroit Part 1 – Shigeto – No Better Time Than Now
- Proxy_02 – Tadahiro Osumi – Proxies
- Busy Signal – Prefuse 73 – One Word Extinguisher
- Intermissions For Syria – Iamnobodi – For The People
- In The Night (Own N Out) – J Dilla – Jay Stay Paid
- Treehome94 – Elaquent – Green Apples and Oranges
- frmnowhere – Knxwledge – Hud Dreems
- Coronus, The Terminator – Flying Lotus – You’re Dead!
- Peach Flavoured – Bahwee – Flavors